After trying this recipe out, you will not want to buy vegetable broth again! It is super easy, you can play around with additional ingredients. It will taste delicious!
Vegetables & Herbs
Because you may use the vegetable broth for various recipes it is best that you achieve a neutral flavor and stay away from salt and strong spices. If you already know what the vegetable broth will be used for, feel free to add spices that will liven up your meals.
Tip: A great way to add more flavor to your broth are to roast the vegetables beforehand.
- 1 to 2 onions
- 2 to 3 carrots
- 3 to 4 celery stalks
- 4 to 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tsp parsley
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
Optional: Leeks (the green parts), fennel, tomatoes, mushrooms or garlic.
- Chop all vegetables roughly. You can peel them or leave them as they are. Many people advocate leaving on the vegetable skins as they add more flavor and a nice golden brown color to the broth.
- Throw all the vegetables and herbs in a pot.
- Cover the vegetables with water , about two to three inches above. Less water means that your stock will be more concentrated; more water makes a lighter-flavored stock.
- Cook for 45 minutes. Give it a stir every now and again to circulate the vegetables.
- Take the pot off the stove and remove all the vegetables with a slotted spoon. Set your strainer over a big bowl and line it with cheese cloth or coffee filters.
- Your broth is ready for use or ready to freeze.
Did you try this recipe out? What did you use it for? Share your experience in the comments section!